25 August 2015

Interview: Valerie Barney








How old are you?
I am 22yrs old, turning 23 on October 27th! I love my birthday because I can so easily get away with having costume parties of any kind since its so close to Halloween. Hehe!

What is your favorite food?
Oh goodness food is my weakness! There are so many favorites for me. To narrow it down a little bit more its gotta be between pasta and seafood (It's one of those things where I can't choose just one). 

Where is your favorite place to visit?
Anywhere I've not yet been is my favorite place to go. Traveling is truly the only form of happiness money can buy. I've had the privilege to travel to many places and each one has been special to me. I'd say out of all of the places I've actually been to, one of my favorite places to date is Coronado Island right here in San Diego. It is a magical island with gorgeous views. I often go there to clear my mind and let myself relax from my crazy schedule.


What is your favorite book other than the Bible?
Although this may not be the answer you're looking for, my favorite book other than the Bible is a blank book, MY sketch / note book! I've never quite grown out of being a child and my imagination is still my favorite quality about myself. Reading is great and I highly recommend it but if you're creative, creating stories and things is even better than reading or looking at someone else's!

What is your favorite quote?
I have so many favorite quotes, but to keep it simple and to the point, "Be true to who you are". Nobody else can be a better you than you can! We were all created to do something that only we can do, so instead of trying to measure up or compare yourself to others, find out what you were placed on this earth to do and do it!

What is your favorite scripture?
I have several favorites.  As you can probably tell from previous answers I am not a "one favorite" type of girl, ha! But the one scripture that is simple, powerful, and applies to my life so incredibly well is 
Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." 
That scripture is so motivational and inspiring to me. It has helped encourage me so may times throughout my life when I felt like giving up. Although its so simple and short it is such a great reminder that truly, we can do ALL things through CHRIST! Remember that always!




What is your favorite song?
Another killer question. I have tons, but one that has always stuck with me is "Calling my Name". It is a gorgeous song with such a deep message. If you haven't heard it please go take a listen on YouTube, Right. Now! It touches my heart every single time I hear it.

What is your favorite item in your closet?
My current favorite item in my closet is probably my classic camel colored trench coat. It goes with everything, it's so comfortable, lightweight, and in my opinion is a timeless staple every girl, and guy, should have. I will probably have it forever because its just that great to me. I'm all about stylish, sophisticated, comfortable clothes and that is what a trench coat embodies. I can literally throw it on top of pajamas paired with flats, a cute bag and a ponytail and look polished and ready to go. It's seriously my saving grace on those lazy or rushed days.


Why Modesty?
Modesty has always been such an important thing to me. Being modest is not and has never been solely an outward issue, honestly it is much more of an inward issue. It exemplifies self respect, respect for authority, and most importantly our commitment to Jesus. A lot of people define modesty as a man made standard that is derived from someone craving power and control, but that is entirely false. Aside from the Bibles definitions of modesty it is a protection for our body and soul. Modesty and morality are one and the same and when people try to separate those making one physical and one mental they are only cheating themselves. Modesty is morality. We are called to live a life that is separate from the world and I'll leave it at this, if royals such as Kate Middleton have such high expectations on the way they dress, not to mention the way they carry themselves, the way they speak, the places they do not go etc, why do we think its okay to lower our standards when our Father is the King of kings? How much more should we uphold the standards of modesty and morality?



What are you involved in at your church?
In church I am involved in two specific ministries, youth ministry and music ministry, which keep me very busy, along with helping out wherever I can or wherever I'm needed. It's so important to be willing to serve in the kingdom of God. If you have talents whether they be singing, teaching, or even painting, find ways to use them for His glory. You will never regret it! What a blessing it is to be able to serve Him even if your scrubbing toilets, it is a high honor! Colossians 3:23-24 

How/Why did you decide to go into fashion?
Since I can remember I've always wanted to work in the industry. I was probably 3 or 4 years old when it started! All throughout school I spent my free time designing and daydreaming about my future and after graduating high school I was accepted into FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising) where I then graduated in 2013 and began interning with the designer I am now working full-time for. I was honestly very blessed and highly favored through this entire journey. I know God has ordered my steps.

Tell us a little about working in the fashion industry?
Working in the fashion industry there is never a dull moment! It is always busy and crazy and usually stressful. I work for a couture designer here in San Diego and I am the his assistant. Just think of it as doing literally everything from coffee runs to scheduling appointments, hand sewing, dressing models, fittings, heading up events, working back stage, and cleaning up sets. It can be grueling work (most of the time it feels more like slavery than fun) but at the end of the day it is completely worth it. I love meeting new people, being around gorgeous gowns, and partaking in all the fun events!

What would you say to a young Apostolic wanting to get into fashion?
Pray about it first and foremost, make sure your motives to be in fashion are not selfish. The fashion industry is tough and if you are not strongly grounded you will get pulled out like a weed. I'm not trying to scare you, but it's just not a career for everyone. There is a lot of crazy beliefs and a huge lack of morality. However, if you feel called to be a light in the darkness and have a passion for it, go for it! Best of luck to you all. xx


What are your plans for the future?
I plan to eventually launch my own line that will establish into a brand that stands for modesty and continues to hold the defined line between man and woman that this world is trying so strongly to blur. Be on the lookout!  

What and Who inspires you?
I have several people and things that inspire me.
I think its so important to have people who hold qualities about them which we strive to reach or  perfect in our own lives. People who lead Godly lives, people we aspire to be like. Obviously people are not perfect so it is always important to know the difference between idols and role models. Our only "god" should be Jesus but I believe He has given us people to look up to and model after. 

There are several in my life so I will simply give you a few of their names. Nita Hodges, Amber Huizar, Talitha Rivera, T'Niel Walea. 

As far as the what goes, I'm very inspired by the ocean. From the beautiful varying colors of the sands across the world to the gorgeous blues and greens that color the waters. There are so many combinations of harsh and soft from the deep trenches of the sea to the crystal clear tides washing up on the rocks, the colors of the water that often mimic the glorious mysterious colors of the skies which hold the white fluffy cotton candy clouds. There is truly nothing more beautiful to me than nature. As I'm sure you can tell I get a little carried away when talking, ha!


What do you do in your spare time?
My favorites are between going to Sea World, Disneyland, Coronado, or relaxing and exploring my talents which include drawing, painting, crafting, writing, or singing. 

How come that sounded so much like a cheesy dating site bio to me? Ha!

Tell us a weird fact about yourself?
Oh my, I have more than most, I'm sure. Ha! I hate when people yawn near my face - I'm way too easily grossed out.

Testimony of how you were saved or a significant moment with God in your life?
I've been in church since birth and I realize how blessed I am because of that, however my life has not been anywhere near perfect. My parents divorced when I was six and there had been so much hurt and brokenness because of it. One of the most pivotal points in my life was when I was twelve years old. God really began to deal with my heart and during that time used so many people to speak pretty much the same words in my life. 

To know that He cared and believed in me that much helped me through the tough times I faced due to the lack of a father I had. God mended my heart, gave me a calling, has used me, and kept me during the time I know would have otherwise been the start of something ugly. I have never felt worthy of His goodness, but He gave it to me anyways. I could go on and on with the stories of things he has kept me from, but it would be a book. I'm just grateful beyond words to know that even though I may not have had a physical father in my life I have a heavenly Father who stepped in and has been everything and MORE for me. I'm forever thankful He saw the best in me.

Parting words or encouragement?
Like I've stated before, be you! You have a calling and you have gifts, find them, use them! You are beautiful, intelligent, and worth far more than you could ever imagine. Never let ANYONE else's opinion of your life determine your value, unless His name is Jesus. Love you ALL! & HUGE thank you to the sweet beautiful, Antoinette for allowing me this opportunity. Xxxx



Thank you so much Valerie for your awesome words of advice, so encouraging.
guys go follow her on Instagram and show her some love!

3 comments:

  1. Her quote is also a favorite quote of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspirational insight into your life Valerie bless you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome young lady! Very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete