1 July 2013

Tutorial: How to lengthen a dress

Hey all! So I finally have this new tutorial for you! "Blogger" wouldn't let me upload pictures so it took longer than I intended. Apologies... :(





So my mother bought me this dress/tunic a while back and like most dresses it was too short a common "Apostolicgirl's" problem. Its a really light fabric, perfect for summer but because of all the layering I have to do I usually wear it in winter. I've always wanted to turn it into a dress so it seemed the perfect candidate for this project.

This one was pretty easy all you need about 1metre/yard of fabric, a few pins and a sewing machine.

First start with the fabric, it will need to be similar to the tunic/dress you are lengthening. You will need to cut the fabric so one side will be double the width of  dress. The other side will need to be how much longer you want the dress to be, then double it.


For example I wanted my dress to be 10cm longer and the width of my dress was 21cm, this is what my fabric looked like. 




When I had done this I sewed one side of my fabric.

Now it should look like a tube/circle.

Putting each side of the fabric on both sides of the dress slide it up and pin it down. Make sure the curved edge is at the top and the frayed edge is at the bottom pin it to the bottom of your dress and sew along the edge about 1cm in.








Pull the extra fabric down and you're done :)





7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. could you do this with a skater dresses ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! that's actually my next tutorial ;)

      Delete
    2. Yeah! that's actually my next tutorial ;)

      Delete
  3. Nice! I wish we could see the end picture with out the cardigan so we can see the dress's transformation.

    Diana

    Retroglamgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute!!! Love it! -missmjanielle

    ReplyDelete